Advertisement

Author Topic: Traditional Hmong Dances (No Thai/Lao influence)  (Read 8763 times)

Offline loomweaver

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Traditional Hmong Dances (No Thai/Lao influence)
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:11:12 PM »
Here are come clips of an old style of Hmong dance called "Tsuab Qeej Tuam Taws" which translates as "Kicking Your Feet While Playing the Qeej". Unlike most other Asian cultures' dances, which focus more on graceful hand movements, these old, traditional Hmong dances put emphasis on using complex footwork.

My grandpa used to always tell me stories about how back in the days, long before ball tossing was introduced into our culture, how young men would play the qeej to woo their prospective girlfriends. During any community events, and especially during the New Years, they would gather in the village square, showing off their skills to whomever was watching them.

If a girl liked the way a certain boy danced or the way he played his qeej, she would come up, grab his arm and pull him aside from his friends so she could dance with him.

Today, the Hmong in China are the only ones who still practice this age-old courting dance where both genders participate together. Us SEA Hmongs have lost the female part of this courting dance, and very rarely do you ever see women dancing alongside a qeej player in our performances.

Here's one of my favorite videos: in the first clip, a father is teaching his little girl the steps to the dance, then in the next scene, we see a young couple demonstrating the routine.

Musical Chairs (Hmong-Style!!!): in this version, the men and the women start off in two separate groups. When the music changes, they must quickly merge into each other and whoever they end up with, they have to dance with each other until the song changes again (the cameraman only captured the ending of the dance though).

Hmong Square Dancing: In this last video, an old qeej player explains the words to the qeej song then demonstrates the dance. Notice how the onlookers gradually join in with the dance, then form a circle around the main dancers.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:12:28 AM by loomweaver »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline loomweaver

• PH Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional Hmong Dances (No Thai/Lao influence)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:21:02 PM »
Courtship Dance by the Side-Comb Hmong in Guizhou. You can hear all the sweet words the qeej player is saying to those three ladies. (Also note that this Hmong group wears long, ankle-length skirts.)
http://www.56.com/w35/play_album-aid-9835147_vid-Mzg4MDU4Nzk.html

This Hmong group has a very interesting variation on the Qeej Tuam Taws dance. Usually the men and women face each other when they kick their legs together. But in this version, they jump in ahead of each other so their backs are turned, then they kick their legs BACK instead of forward.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:13:22 AM by loomweaver »

Peachy Fish

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »
Nice. Thanks for sharing. I've always saw these as the more traditional Hmong  dances.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »
What should we tell Hmong Christians who are so afraid of the qeej?  :)  It's just a musical instrument. 

I think Hmong chinese and Hmong vietnamese are musical than Hmong Lao and Hmong Thai.

Like this post: +1

chidorix0x

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »
Quite honestly, "dhia qeej" is not synonymous with "dancing" in my opinion, or understanding of what "qeej" and "dancing" entails, involves, and characterizes.

I'll leave it at that.

Offline loomweaver

• PH Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:11:09 AM »
In the first group, look at how hard the girl is kicking the poor guy's ankles and shins. I'd give up too if I had to go up against such a fierce dancer like her.  :2funny: :2funny: One look at the smug, mischievous grin on her face and you can easily tell who truly wears the pants in their relationship.

The second group is the more romantic out of the two. The dancers go at a more leisurely pace and they actually dance WITH each other rather than dancing AGAINST each other.  O0

Using the Qeej as a Weapon  :o :o

In addition to being a musical instrument, the qeej can also double as an impromptu weapon that could be used to defend yourself against small and minor attacks. (Imagine getting whacked on the head by one being twirled around by an experienced fighter. Speed up the technique and mix in some well-placed kicks and punches against your attacker and you could have one very impressive fight scene.)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:35:46 AM by loomweaver »

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »
You guys do understand that the people in these videos may not even be Hmong and even if they are, they may be other Hmong subgroups other than Hmoob dawb and Hmoob lees.

All Hmoob are Miao nationality but not all Miao are Hmoob. All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.

Like this post: +1

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
Where's the "Like" button on these videos? lol

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

MSV

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 09:12:32 PM »
Is this really "traditional" hmong dance? Very interesting videos. Thanks for providing captions/explanations for each video shared to help people like me who have yet to learn even more about my own culture. Good stuff.  O0

Offline loomweaver

• PH Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 12:11:24 AM »
The people in this group are Hmoob Dawb from China, but look at how beautiful and unique the Chinese White Hmong women's clothes are from ours:

-colorful leggings
-not one, not two, but THREE sev/aprons (one wide, pleated black sev and a regular apron on top of that, including a third one at the back)

The Hmoob Dawb from Vietnam are the only other ones I know of that wear two sev/aprons with a skirt front and back, while us Thai and Laotian White Hmongs normally only do that with pants. It's got me curious about how our fashion has changed in the past few hundred years since we migrated out of China.

&

Advertisements