Advertisement

Author Topic: Does anyone compose music?  (Read 3567 times)

TheAfterLife

Does anyone compose music?
« on: June 13, 2013, 06:10:55 PM »
I am tired of someone playing someone's pieces and got famous for that. I mean, where's your creative stuff?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone compose music?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »
I do a little bit of composing but I'm not anything special yet. What do you want to know about?

If you need help finding a specific sound I could probably tell you where they are.  Many of the sound you hear in hmong song are taken from romplers. They mainly use the old Roland module and Korg stuff.

Or if you want to learn how to write I can give you some advice.

Peace.

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »
I agree, these days any teenager can buy a beat and do some corny ass rap video on youtube with a hip hop beat.  :2funny:

I'm not surprise if I see asians rapping on youtube. 99% of them don't make beats. They fawkin bought that shit from pple like me.  :2funny: :2funny:

Sometimes the singing was already planned out by the production.. when pple buy the beat they already have an idea how the vocal is going to go.. so they mimic it the way it was on the demo. Very little orginality.

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »
I got my stuff done yo. I just need to listen someone's original piece rather than being a player who performs their piece.

Mine are inside my keyboard workstation sequencer so.. I don't have a way to sample them out right now. I'm going to have to sync it into a daw once my stuff do get here. Here is a beat I produce in FL a while back.

I know it still plain.. that cuz I never finish it.. Most of the one that are done.. are in my workstation. so yeah.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:36:05 PM by Gracified23 »

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 06:31:12 PM »
I have 2 motifs. One is the older model motif6 and the other one is a XS7. I have a Fantom G as well but I gave that one up. I didn't like it that much.  The G is great for hip hop stuff with some banging synths, but it lack natural sounds that I need for slow romantic stuff. They have the Korg Kronos now that thing is  beast yo. But I can't afford a $3k keyboard. So I just bought another Korg recently and I like it way more than the G. Has all the sounds I need for Hmong style. :D

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:18:12 PM »
Hurry up and listen before I take it down. 

But yeah, for hip hop and rap stuff, as far as production go, it's not that hard. I can sit here and think of a quick idea in my mind and lay it down in 30 minutes. The way I go about producing is I like to stack my drums. I would stack 2 kicks with a snare and layer a clap on top of it. Send both kicks to a bus channel and compressed it. I don't compressed it on it's own channel. You will find your drums more punchier if you do it through a bus channel. I like my drums to knock. If I make a trap beat, I would use an 808 to layer on top of my other kick. The kick provides the boom, but the 808 need the thump.

The boom is below 100hertz and to acheive the thump.. you have to use your ears.. it's always almost around 50hertz-80herzt.. but you have to boost here..  O0

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »
When I get all my stuff ready and running I'm going to try to build a soundcloud profile. I'm working on this song right at the moment.

Let me give you some advice. This one I create it myself and there was no mixing done to it. All I add was a limiter into the master channel that's it. Do you know why? The reason is because you should already have a good production with little mixing! If you find yourself adding eq and all that stuff too much then you're probably doing it wrong. A good production comes from a very careful sound selection. You should only mastered after you have a very well mixed. You only want to squeeze a very little db off the limiter... producer who are signed with label do not do their own mastering. The label does it.  O0

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:36:29 PM by Gracified23 »

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »
Yeah.. My style are more like korean slow romantic type of stuff, I don't do any of those film score composition. I spend more time on producing other stuff instead. But yeah, I was thinking of composing one film score and see how it go. I already have the EastWest stuff which I assume that's what you're using.

I couldn't really tell what you did in your remix but if you actually make those stuff then you've got a great sense for music. I don't play flute or any of them orchestra instrument but these EastWest stuff is actually what composer are using. It takes a bit of work to articulate them well and it's actually can be acheivable, although I never try it. I don't read sheets or film scoring or anything like that either. I just work with what I know when I go along and hear what's sounds good to me.

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 02:15:37 PM »
If I were to play a piece it would be something along these line.

And then I would layer strings to it.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:35:27 PM by Gracified23 »

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Or use midi files and replace it with instruments.  :2funny:

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 01:06:20 AM »
So.. since my last post I was working on this one.

Still far from finished.. I'm missing pads and strings, which I'm going to add later.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:35:46 PM by Gracified23 »

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »
Btw, I produce all these with crappy on board sound card.  :2funny:

My Fw card isn't here yet.. so I can't use my audio interface...cu z I know the quality will be a huge upgrade.

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 12:00:34 AM »
U need to work on it more. How about listening to Thomas Bergersen, Joe Hisaishi, Nobuo Uematsu, Beethoven, Bach, Debussy, Mozart, John Williams, and mussorgsky (Pictures at an Exhibition).

These are the masters of this world and I suggest you should play their pieces before making something up in pure original pieces. Have u taken any music theory? I suggest finish 1 through 4.

I don't study filming and orchestration music theory. They are complicated I'm not on par with that. I study theory more on electronic music. Sometimes I do like to play the slow romantic stuff too, and I do have some theory on it but it's nothing like composing films. They're on a different level.

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 12:10:34 AM »

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:39:18 PM by Gracified23 »

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster