Advertisement

Author Topic: If you can do it all over again  (Read 2449 times)

Luther

If you can do it all over again
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:25:35 AM »
Knowing what you know now, would you major in a different field? and do you think it'll be easier this time around?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
Re: If you can do it all over again
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »
Knowing what you know now, would you major in a different field? and do you think it'll be easier this time around?

I would have majored in computer science instead of biology.  I think I wasted so much time because I had a biology degree instead of a computer science degree.

bulbasaur

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:34:09 PM »
It's always easier the second time around.  However, making choices and making mistakes is how a person learns.  It wouldn't be easier the second time around if a person never made the first choice.    As we get older, we tend to forget the struggles of younger people. 

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »
It's always easier the second time around.  However, making choices and making mistakes is how a person learns.  It wouldn't be easier the second time around if a person never made the first choice.    As we get older, we tend to forget the struggles of younger people.

we can't always tell what will make us happy.  in fact, we are terrible at it.

we see what people have and thought that would make us happy.  we try to get there and find that it does not.

minorcharacter

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:19:24 AM »
Nope, I'd do it all over again.  Although I changed majors twice I've met a lot of great irreplaceable people along the way.  Yeah, it took me longer to finish college but I finished with a high GPA and a bachelors in Computer Science.  All my friends were complaining about the job market and their pay, but I was getting job offers left and right with decently high salaries for someone out of college.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »
Nope, I'd do it all over again.  Although I changed majors twice I've met a lot of great irreplaceable people along the way.  Yeah, it took me longer to finish college but I finished with a high GPA and a bachelors in Computer Science.  All my friends were complaining about the job market and their pay, but I was getting job offers left and right with decently high salaries for someone out of college.

computer science is always in demand. 

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 07:39:25 AM »

My advice to college kids, be certain those you hang around with is who you want to be.  I hung out with gamers and I am a gamer so we gamed all the time.  What a waste.

That's very true.  My cousins are all gamers and they failed college terribly.

minorcharacter

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 09:10:27 AM »
Then again this topic isn't really fair.  I'd take my knowledge of where the industry goes and invest highly in Apple stocks when it was cheap and wait a few years after the smart phone exploded into the market to cash in.

I'd also create many of the simple but useful phone apps that we currently use today.  Finally I'd retire to some marijuana farm in Colorado and smoke weed with Willie Nelson everyday while shooting at trespassers.

vl

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 12:16:39 PM »
If I could go back in time I would have tried to reduce my school loans.

zena

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 10:52:21 AM »
I wouldn't trade what I majored in but I would have added a minor like art just to have additional knowledge of something I'm passionate about but know that it's not a money making field until your dead, and even then, it's by luck.

Advertisements