Advertisement

Author Topic: A letter to your future Grandkids  (Read 1837 times)

minorcharacter

A letter to your future Grandkids
« on: June 30, 2014, 10:35:10 AM »
Unless you already have grand kids that can read.  Anyways, I was cleaning up my Google Drive and found a letter I wrote back in February to my future grand children.

To my future grandchildren,

Hello, this is minorcharacter, age 27 writing to you on this date February 1st, 2014.  Today is a cold day and I feel there are many more to come, but I hope you find that this letter will warm you. 

If you want to know about me let me share with you that as of this moment I am in the midst of developing my career as an IT professional and seeing the world.  Hopefully by the time you read this I will have had my own business up and running and one of you plans to take charge of it one day.  I do hope that the world of technology becomes a family tradition.  Technology can change lives and the world; take charge of it and don’t be afraid of it.

Along with my ambitions I have many other things I am doing as well.  Just today I met up with a group to do some finger painting.  I am hoping this will help stimulate my creativity and that in itself will become useful in life.  I have never considered myself to be a very intelligent man, but I do believe in thinking differently or trying a new approach.  Innovation is the fruition of creativity, remember that well.

Technology is great, but remember to appreciate the simple things in life.  There is nothing quite like enjoying a Pink Floyd tune in the middle of a quiet field while you’re high on marijuana.  I do not know what music will be like in your times, but I implore you to explore the music that I listened to.  It is not music that developed in my generation, but in the generation of my father.  Also, while you’re out there in the great outdoors learn how to use a bow and carry a machete with you.  Even if you suck at using them you will look pretty bad ass just carrying them around.

While you’re enjoying life, don’t forget to fall in love as well.  It is the most wonderful feeling in the world.  I have had my heart broken, and maybe I am still in love with the same woman that broke my heart, but at the very least I am happy. Perhaps that is all it takes to live a good life; just being happy.  It is okay to be jealous, to have your insecurities, to want more, but just remember to be happy.  There is no way of quantifying happiness, you are either happy or you are not so just choose to be happy.

If I should pass before you read this letter then I hope by then there are flying cars.  There are many great things I expect from the future, and that is one of them.  If I am too resilient to see what the world now has to offer please come show me.  Show me how the world has changed, and hopefully it will have been for the better.  Our generation leaves a great problem for you to fix, but I believe in you.

Lastly, I hope I have been a great grandfather to you all.  My grandfather passed away when my father was young so I never even got to meet him.  My other grandfather lived in California so I seldom saw him and never got to really ask him the questions I wanted to.  I don’t have a real experience with a grandfather so I am ashamed to say that despite all my wisdom, I may or may not have, I don’t know how to be a grandfather to you all.  That is why my single last wish is to become someone you can all be proud of.

-MC

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:33:53 AM by minorcharacter »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
Re: A letter to your future Grandkids
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:46:51 PM »
Dear grandkids,

If you are reading this letter, it means grandma and I made a mistake and we have your dad or mom.  We didn't intent to have children.  We worried that we have been irresponsible and have wrecked the world that may make life hard for you and your children.  Now that you are reading this, it means you are already here.  You have inherited what we have done.  We have nothing good to give you other than the 20 trillions debt we borrowed against your future.  We were too eager for blood and bet your future on our wars fighting to see which men got bigger balls. 

We are at the crossroad.  But I'm afraid we won't know the right decision and it seems we are not making the right decision.  We make decisions based on how good it feels at the moment.  So you will inherit a world where weather will be harsher.  A debt so heavy that you won't be able to live a good life as we did.  Now we hope that you will survive and make a better human species. 

God bless you.

Your grandpa..

ButterflyKisses

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
ooohhh... love this thread... gonna post in it every day... several times a day...

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 02:06:52 PM »
Unless you already have grand kids that can read.  Anyways, I was cleaning up my Google Drive and found a letter I wrote back in February to my future grand children.

Hello, this is minorcharacter, age 27 writing to you on this date February 1st, 2014.  Today is a cold day and I feel there are many more to come, but I hope you find that this letter will warm you. 
   If you want to know about me let me share with you that as of this moment I am in the midst of developing my career as an IT professional and seeing the world.  Hopefully by the time you read this I will have had my own business up and running and one of you plans to take charge of it one day.  I do hope that the world of technology becomes a family tradition.  Technology can change lives and the world; take charge of it and don’t be afraid of it.
   Along with my ambitions I have many other things I am doing as well.  Just today I met up with a group to do some finger painting.  I am hoping this will help stimulate my creativity and that in itself will become useful in life.  I have never considered myself to be a very intelligent man, but I do believe in thinking differently or trying a new approach.  Innovation is the fruition of creativity, remember that well.
   Technology is great, but remember to appreciate the simple things in life.  There is nothing quite like enjoying a Pink Floyd tune in the middle of a quiet field while you’re high on marijuana.  I do not know what music will be like in your times, but I implore you to explore the music that I listened to.  It is not music that developed in my generation, but in the generation of my father.  Also, while you’re out there in the great outdoors learn how to use a bow and carry a machete with you.  Even if you suck at using them you will look pretty bad ass just carrying them around.
   While you’re enjoying life, don’t forget to fall in love as well.  It is the most wonderful feeling in the world.  I have had my heart broken, and maybe I am still in love with the same woman that broke my heart, but at the very least I am happy. Perhaps that is all it takes to live a good life; just being happy.  It is okay to be jealous, to have your insecurities, to want more, but just remember to be happy.  There is no way of quantifying happiness, you are either happy or you are not so just choose to be happy.
   If I should pass before you read this letter then I hope by then there are flying cars.  There are many great things I expect from the future, and that is one of them.  If I am too resilient to see what the world now has to offer please come show me.  Show me how the world has changed, and hopefully it will have been for the better.  Our generation leaves a great problem for you to fix, but I believe in you.
   Lastly, I hope I have been a great grandfather to you all.  My grandfather passed away when my father was young so I never even got to meet him.  My other grandfather lived in California so I seldom saw him and never got to really ask him the questions I wanted to.  I don’t have a real experience with a grandfather so I am ashamed to say that despite all my wisdom, I may or may not have, I don’t know how to be a grandfather to you all.  That is why my single last wish is to become someone you can all be proud of.

-MC

LOL!  I love the marijuana line... but on a serious note, what a lovely, warm, touching letter from Grandpa!   O0

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »
Dear grandkids,

If you are reading this letter, it means grandma and I made a mistake and we have your dad or mom.  We didn't intent to have children.  We worried that we have been irresponsible and have wrecked the world that may make life hard for you and your children.  Now that you are reading this, it means you are already here.  You have inherited what we have done.  We have nothing good to give you other than the 20 trillions debt we borrowed against your future.  We were too eager for blood and bet your future on our wars fighting to see which men got bigger balls. 

We are at the crossroad.  But I'm afraid we won't know the right decision and it seems we are not making the right decision.  We make decisions based on how good it feels at the moment.  So you will inherit a world where weather will be harsher.  A debt so heavy that you won't be able to live a good life as we did.  Now we hope that you will survive and make a better human species. 

God bless you.

Your grandpa..

LOL.  Keeping it real.  I like it!   ;D

minorcharacter

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »

My grandmother will frequently ask me when I’m going to get married and have kids.  They do not yet know that my girlfriend and I broke up.  We have been together for many years so I did not have the heart to tell them.  I can carry a joke with them or brush off their question with sarcasm but only for so long.  If I am ever this kind of grandparent to you, kindly tell me to duck off.

Anyways, when you receive this letter you will either be close to that age where you start dating, you’re already dating, or a little past that part.  If the latter holds true then please Please PLEASE use protection.  I would love to have great grandchildren to remind me of my own mortality and age, but maybe not just yet.  Also I was kind of a twat when I was your age so you probably are one too; it just runs in the family.
   Also, in my time we have this social network called Facebook.  There are a lot of people who incessantly complain about their relationship.  Do not be that person, or I will slap you.  Even if I am on my deathbed I will find a way to slap you so hard the next 18 generations of the Thao clan will feel it.

Another thing, do not be that douche that belittles women or men as nothing but mere meat sacks.  You are not a suicide bombing terrorist and virgins are not your prize.  My brother hunted terrorists and he will find you and he will gut you like a pig at Long Cheng.  With that said, treat your partner as an equal.  Look for someone of your equal if not better.  Your partner should be able to understand you, inspire you, and bring out the greatest in you.  Anything less and you might as well piss on my grave when you bury me.

The last words I want to part with you are these, “be loyal.”  You can be a snake charmer, a conniving fox, or a slutty haha.  Whatever.  However when you are entangled with someone else’s life be loyal to them.  The greatest thing about my parents were that they were always loyal to each other and it kept our family together.  They seldom fought, and even after thirty years of marriage my father still took my mother out to eat as if it was the first time they had ever had dinner together.  My father once told me, “koj twb ua neej no lawm, tsis txhob muab tso pov tseg nrhiav tug tshiab.”  If you can’t read that then the Hmong language must be in a real sad state, oh well.  It roughly translates to “you already made a life here, do not throw it away looking for a new one.”  Love and relationships should not not be shoes that you can buy anytime you get sick of your old one and want a new one.  Please cherish each other.

Love,
MC

Jenlee9

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 01:57:31 AM »
Why are you writing letters to our grandchildren already? At least write something helpful.

diamondgirl

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 04:47:42 AM »
/subscribed

minorcharacter

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 10:28:10 AM »
Why are you writing letters to our grandchildren already? At least write something helpful.
In the event something happens and I'm unable to be there with my grandchildren I'd like them to know that once upon a time I existed not just as a grandparent but a real person too.

minorcharacter

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 10:39:09 AM »
That is if PH is still up by then.  ;D
Dot assures me it will still be up; I've also taken a life insurance out on PH so if it ever dies I'll be rich.  O0

proudlao

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »
I want another child before I can even think about having grandkids  ;D

minorcharacter

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »

Unfortunately it is great and many problems that our generation leaves you with.  It will require an immense amount of inner strength to overcome these challenges, and an even greater one to find the courage to accept these responsibiliti es and to accept your own flaws and mistakes.  Do not be defeated by your own selves.

As you read this letter I am sure you have had your fair share of troubles.  Trouble with society, culture, school, finance, or perhaps even in your own home.  These are all issues everybody has to deal with, and I am not going to tell you it is wrong of you to feel the way you do.  It is okay to be angry, sad, hurt, and above all else to be human.  In the grand scheme of things, it truly is unfair.  However life's precious moments will be found in your journey to overcoming this obstacle and reaching adulthood.  Remember to open up your life to others.  The sun is simply too big for you to live under it alone.  Also, take pictures, because pictures or it didn't happen.

Lastly, I do not know what the situation in your times will be like, however I implore you all to attend college.  Take some liberal arts courses, take a science class, take a class you never thought you would take, study a religion or two, broaden your horizon, reach out, and never stop learning.  Let me tell you all now that my college career was a long and arduous one, but I have done many things I am proud of.  Go get drunk, get laid, and for duck's sake smoke a joint and chill.  Reach out to the community and help someone else's life.  Inspire them to help someone else and continue that cycle.  It was in my volunteering years that I have met some of the most wonderful and amazing lifelong friends that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.  I hope you will meet some as well; life is too beautiful to live only for yourself.

Love - MC

Advertisements