Advertisement

Author Topic: Night Fishing for Cats  (Read 11680 times)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
Re: Night Fishing for Cats
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2015, 12:03:10 PM »
Great catch! Where's the pictures. How big are they?
Oh pictures, everyone has got pictures of them catfish.  I like to have no evidence that I was there with my catch.  Gonna make a fish fry now.

Like this post: 0
The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Adverstisement

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2015, 05:15:28 PM »
Night catfishing round two, tonight.  O0

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2015, 03:46:26 AM »
Well I started a bit earlier this time.  Got there at 8pm and within minutes my first bait was getting bitten.  I caught two catfish in the first half hour.  My third catfish came within the hour.   I didn't want to leave and come back home so soon so I decided to goof around.  Well it got slow for the following two hours.  Midnight came and I caught my fourth, and my fifth got caught.  For the first time, I got my bag limit for cats. 

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »
Lots of fish cleaning right now.

I'm eating so much catfish meat...dang makes me want to go catch some panfish meat for a different fish meat.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2015, 12:21:12 PM »
I'm thinking about this spot that I fished at the past two times and how the catfish were hitting my bait.  Now usually I've got some pretty hefty hooks and catfish hits would nearly rip the rod out of your hands.  These spot has always been a challenging spot for hook ups.  The catfish do bite but often just a quick tug or little nibbles.  Often times it feels like current pushing your rig downstream.  Every time I have the rod in the rod holder, it would've been too late to put the hook set on.  I would feel weightlessness instead of feeling the weight of a fish, let alone the weight of my sinker.  Now twice on the first night I gave a good hook set on nothing.  Normally you would feel the weight of the sinker  drag or settles back down to the bottom, but I still felt nothing for too long of a time.  I crank up all the slack to feeling of a current pull, then weight if a fish, and then a sweeping hook set to a fish fight. 

This got me to thinking I need to change up tactics.  That's where the second night, I primarily fished with the graphite rod instead of the fiberglass rod.  Furthermore it was also primarily with rod in hand instead of in the rod holders.  All the hooked catfish on this second night came from subtle bites.  I started out with a typical medium wire hook, but the catfish were spitting it out before I could put the hook set on them.  So I went with a light wire hook, thinking that I might loses to the hook wire bending.  Yes my hook up changed afterwards.  I was able to better detect bait pick up and had more time with the light wire hook.  I was able to put the hook set and drive it home.  That led to the bag limit on second night.

In addition to the spot being a community spot, I think the catfish are quite use to fishing pressure. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:26:09 PM by VillainousHero »

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2015, 01:37:58 PM »
I wonder if I should go catfishing again this weekend.  I have no cutbait, will need to go catch that but have no time to.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »
Okay went and caught my cut bait... Now just need to make my catfishing trip again.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2015, 03:47:37 AM »
Done deal again.  Slower bite, less biting.  I also caught a soft shell turtle.

The mosquitoes were biting nonstop.

Dark Angel

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2015, 11:59:03 AM »
You must love eating catfishes. lol

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2015, 05:12:49 PM »
You must love eating catfishes. lol
Easy to fillet. Easy to deep fry fish nuggets too.

Advertisements