Advertisement

Author Topic: How many color clans are there?  (Read 12536 times)

TheAfterLife

How many color clans are there?
« on: September 18, 2014, 02:22:56 AM »
I want to know the color clans of the Hmong. I know White, Green/Blue, Black, and Red. Is there any more?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

chidorix0x

Re: How many color clans are there?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:12:11 PM »
Around the world, the Hmong/Mong in different countries/regions, aside from COLORS, also refer to themselves, and/or have been ascribed with unique traits/characteristics as well.  The exact number of COLORS/characteristics is anyone's guess.

Here are some COLORS/characteristics I have come to know (been made aware of, per my personal amateur research).  Excluding the COLORS you've mentioned, they are:

1.  Yellow
2.  Flowery (also called Magpie, due to its many brilliant ornate colors)
3.  Short Skirt
4.  Horned  (there are at least two variance -- one in China, the other in Burma)
5.  Bump (actually "qos" in Hmong, which most likely is another variant of the Horned groups)
6.  Striped
7.  She (pronounced "Sis" in Hmong, apparently related to "Leng" -- "lees/leeg" in Hmong)

There are probably others as well, but those are the ones I have personally come to know, and been made aware of throughout my research (fact-finding).

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 01:19:22 AM »
Around the world, the Hmong/Mong in different countries/regions, aside from COLORS, also refer to themselves, and/or have been ascribed with unique traits/characteristics as well.  The exact number of COLORS/characteristics is anyone's guess.

Here are some COLORS/characteristics I have come to know (been made aware of, per my personal amateur research).  Excluding the COLORS you've mentioned, they are:

1.  Yellow
3.  Short Skirt
4.  Horned  (there are at least two variance -- one in China, the other in Burma)
5.  Bump (actually "qos" in Hmong, which most likely is another variant of the Horned groups)
6.  Striped
7.  She (pronounced "Sis" in Hmong, apparently related to "Leng" -- "lees/leeg" in Hmong)

There are probably others as well, but those are the ones I have personally come to know, and been made aware of throughout my research (fact-finding).

You're forgetting one.

8. Liab  ;D

chidorix0x

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:50:17 AM »
You're forgetting one.

8. Liab  ;D

Nawww, you just didn't READ (see) very well  ...  kekeke.

See THIS (below) -- per thread/subject author  ...  :icon_thumright:

I ... color clans of the Hmong. I know White, Green/Blue, Black, and Red. Is there any more?

minorcharacter

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 08:39:47 AM »

1.  Yellow
3.  Short Skirt
6.  Striped

Interesting, how closely related are their native language and how well would a regular Hmoob dawb speaking person be able to communicate with them?

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 09:00:39 AM »
Nawww, you just didn't READ (see) very well  ...  kekeke.

See THIS (below) -- per thread/subject author  ...  :icon_thumright:

If you would've read it and not look at the color, you would've seen it.   O0 :2funny:

chidorix0x

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
Interesting, how closely related are their native language and how well would a regular Hmoob dawb speaking person be able to communicate with them?

Except for our Hmong-Chinese brethren, who all cannot (or barely can) speak the Western/USA Hmong language, and who all have their own unique language (practically foreign to us), all of the other Hmong; mainly within SEAsia and the USA/West can intelligibly communicate with each other -- in either, or both Hmoob Dawb, and/or Hmoob Lees/Leeg.

The Hmong-Chinese, however, especially those who call/refer to themselves as "Miao" of the Middle and Eastern regions of China, all speak their own native language (that IS NOT Hmong) which we will not be able to understand period, whatsoever.  If you know who Ayoudou and Geli Yang are, though they may be (or are) Hmong-Chinese, they speak their own native language that is not Hmong.  We will not understand them period, nor they us, if both parties were to solely speak Hmong.  Interestingly, even though Ling Lee and Mim Yaj, are Western Hmong-Chinese; whose native language is 90% intelligible with ours, they have admitted they had to learn the Western/USA Hmong language to proficiently communicate/speak with us.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »
What about Lees/Leeg? Not color but still a Hmong/Mong group.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 12:19:49 PM »
The Hmong in China do speak our Lao-Hmong dialect to a certain extent, especially those in Pajtawglag and those near Laos.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

chidorix0x

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 02:06:59 PM »
What about Lees/Leeg? Not color but still a Hmong/Mong group.

Hmong/Mong Lees/Leeg is in fact Hmoob Ntsuab, who are the Blue/Green Hmong/Mong.  (Yes, I am fully aware of the fact that Hmong/Mong Lees/Leeg claims they are not Hmoob Ntsuab, aka Blue/Green Hmong/Mong. (Not entirely true. Or a complete lie.) I am not going to elaborate on this, as both, Lees/Leeg and Green/Ntsuab, have been one and the same group/people throughout history, aka SE Asia, as recorded and documented in all/any historical record(s) to my knowledge/research. Only in the USA/West, have the Hmong/Mong Lees/Leeg started, try to, and insist they are not Blue/Green Hmong/Mong, or its subgroup at best, or worst case scenario.  Most/all Hmong/Mong know this is "BS". Basically, it is the equivalent of an African-American, claiming or pretending he/she is not native African, or in origin.  Absurd nonsense.)

The Hmong in China do speak our Lao-Hmong dialect to a certain extent, especially those in Pajtawglag and those near Laos.

The "Pajtawglag" Hmong-Chinese technically do not speak our SEAsia Hmong dialect at all, though arguably their dialect is very similar and closest to the Green Mong dialect.  At least on first impression that is what it seems and sounds exactly like.  Definitely not White Hmong at all.   But over the years, as I learned (researched) more about the Hmong-Chinese of "Pajtawglag", listening to their dialect, which they call "Hmoob Dlaag" -- referring to their dialect and identity, for "Yellow Hmong", and then hearing Ling Lee, Mim Yaj, and Soob Thoj among others who are "Pajtawglag" Hmong-Chinese admitting they CANNOT speak the SEAsia Hmong dialect natively, and had to learn it, in order to intelligibly communicate (sing) with SEAsia/USA/Western Hmong; it concluded my suspicion that although "Pajtawglag" is the most intelligible dialect/language with the SEAsia/USA/West Hmong dialect, they are still quite very different.

The "Pajtawglag" dialect is though the closest to the SEAsia/USA/West Hmong/Mong dialect -- at over 90% intelligible.  The other Hmong-Chinese dialect, namely those of the Middle and Eastern regions/provinces, is below 30% to 0% intelligible; namely the Hmong-Chinese who refer to and call themselves Hmub (Black Hmong), Ahao, Kho-Xiong, "Red" Miao, "Flowery/Magpie" Miao etc..

chidorix0x

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
Reporter,

Watch and listen to this.  Here is a "Pajtawglag" Yellow Hmong's native dialect.  (Can you, any of you, understand it?  Now, do you understand why singers like Ling Lee, Mim Yaj, Soob Thoj etc., had to learn our Hmong language in order to communicate intelligibly with us, aka USA/West/SEAsia Hmong/Mong?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKQc38gWlTM

chidorix0x

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 11:22:54 PM »
Reporter,

Here's something for your (everyone's) amusement.  (See video link.)  Yeah, it is a little off topic, but related nevertheless since we started talking about the various dialects of the Hmong (Miao).  (What was a startling revelation for me was how this documentary reiterated some things my dad had told me about the LOST Hmong (Miao) Script -- like 20+years ago.  I had always been skeptical of what he had told me -- that maybe my dad probably made those things up, given that it was not until recently, we (the world) knew, or believed, and had always stated the Hmong (Miao) never had a written language until Hmong RPA was invented between 1951-53 in SE Asia.)  Imagine my shock, surprise, and disbelief/belief when SPollard who in the 1800s, had been made aware of the LOST Hmong (Miao) Script by the Miao people -- documenting that insight.  Anyway, enjoy.

***  It is amazing the kind of stuff one can find on the internet nowadays.  Or in this case, how these things (facts, research, documentaries) keeps finding me ... HAHAHA!  (I think I know WHY now ...  :thumbsup: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QOjYLOlKL8

dust

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 05:19:08 AM »
When I was in WenShan aka Paj Tawg Lag over ten years ago, I was told I was Hmong "shi."

And yes, you can understand the Hmong they speak. You have to get used to the accent, but their Hmong dialect is mutually intelligible with ours. The words that are different are likely to be Chinese words.

The Hmong/Miao in Wenshan have their own history book of the Hmong migration. Sadly, the old Hmong man didn't let us make a copy of it. (My memory is rusty in regards to what the book said. We only talked about it briefly.) Perhaps our resident Hmong "expert" on PH has seen a copy of it?

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »
An organized writing system doesn't just appear and disappear - JUST LIKE THAT. There are Mesopotamia and Mediterranean remnants of the beginnings of an organized writing system. These are thousands of years older than any Asian civilization and Asian writing systems and languages. And somehow, you want me to believe that Hmong were writing Hamlet plays and then BOOM! -....... we forgot?

It's not hard to digest that Hmong never had a writing system. Same as the indigenous tribes of the Amazon Rainforest, Aboriginal Australians, and African bushmen. Same as Native Americans whom only developed a writing system based on Romanized alphabet with the arrival of Europeans to North America.

The reason why many Hmong have a hard time admitting or realizing that we never had an organized writing system is because of politics and elitism. We don't want to look like a culture of "savages". We wanted to fast-foward and make the world believe we have always been acculturated, assimilated into the international modern world, aware of the issues of local and world politics and economics, and that we had moved seamlessly with human civilizations. IT'S ALL BULLSHIT. If you truly believe that Hmong had/have a writing system, whatever, you're entitled to your opinion, which is a stupid opinion because there are no hard facts and finding that point to a solid, organized writing system of Hmong. You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. And the fact is, if this was the year 1000CE, unless you were writing based on the standardized characters of Shang Dynasty, you might as well just wipe your asss with the paper and send it off because it would be more commonly intelligible - "Aw man! This guy thinks I'm shit!"

dust

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »
*Crickets chirping*

I guess our resident Hmong expert has no comment on the Hmong in China's copy of Miao history and the different migrations.  ::)

Advertisements