Advertisement

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 2  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Raspberry Pi 2
« on: March 12, 2015, 09:34:54 AM »
@ minorcharacter

So I finally got one, There are 6 OS that can be installed on this machine.

1. Raspbian
2. Ubuntu Core
3. OpenElec
4. Raspbmc
5. Pidora
6. Risc OS

I currently have Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi.
After you installed the OS, you can either use the terminal or go into the GUI using "startx" command. I'm not really sure but after I load up the GUI, I went and upset the internet so that I can use "sudo apt-get update"
When you have the internet connection all ready to go, you open up the browser and it seems to take forever.
I'm still thinking about what to do at this point. I'm thinking should I just use this guy to run all my videos so that I can watch movies on my big screen tv or should I go with it and keep using Debian. I thought about getting the Intel Galileo but it doesn't come with all the nice looking components. But the good thing about the Intel Galileo is that it can run Windows OS and the Raspberry Pi 2 can't. But I have been reading and Windows 10 might release beta for Raspberry Pi developers which is only compatible with version 2 of Raspberry.

I'm trying to run a java program on the Pi but every time when I open the program, the terminal appears and disappears within 1 second of opening it. I think it has to do with environment variables and system variables.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:38:03 AM by Risingstars »

Like this post: 0
"Noj zaub yuav rau roj, ua neeg nyob yuav tsum ua siab loj"

Adverstisement

minorcharacter

Re: Raspberry Pi 2
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:01:53 AM »
The OS is bare bones so it's going to take some configuring in order to get it properly up and running.  I was mainly playing around with this using it as a cheap workstation.  If I ever get into robotics programming this will probably be my workstation of choice.

I'm not too sure about using it to run your movies though.  The pi 2 only has 1 gig of ram and the processor isn't exactly viable for that kind of operation.  A cheap laptop will do the job much better.

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:22:59 AM »
The OS is bare bones so it's going to take some configuring in order to get it properly up and running.  I was mainly playing around with this using it as a cheap workstation.  If I ever get into robotics programming this will probably be my workstation of choice.

I'm not too sure about using it to run your movies though.  The pi 2 only has 1 gig of ram and the processor isn't exactly viable for that kind of operation.  A cheap laptop will do the job much better.

I read a lot from the forums on the Pi 2 and there seems to be some pretty good experiences on the Media Center but I don't know yet. It really depends on how patience you are. I heard that Windows Xp was able to be installed on the Pi but loaded very very slow. Also the Pi 2 comes preloaded with Minecraft so I was thinking why not? If minecraft can run on it why can't I run java programs on the Pi 2. Maybe I should use this machine to build as an RC-Helicopter.

minorcharacter

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:07:51 AM »
Good luck, man.  I am actually thinking about turning mine into a tor proxy for anonymous browsing.  Will be roaming around on the the darknet then.  O0

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
Good luck, man.  I am actually thinking about turning mine into a tor proxy for anonymous browsing.  Will be roaming around on the the darknet then.  O0

Lol nice, you thinking about Kali?

minorcharacter

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 11:31:44 AM »
Lol nice, you thinking about Kali?

I'm just going to follow this little tutorial on how to do it.

https://learn.adafruit.com/onion-pi/overview

Advertisements