Advertisement

Author Topic: Invitations to traditional Hmong weddings  (Read 4503 times)

minorcharacter

Invitations to traditional Hmong weddings
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:56:06 AM »
A friend of mine called me up last night to ask me to attend his younger brother's wedding (traditional Hmong).  I wasn't sure how to reply.  We're not that close and I haven't seen the guy in about six months.  I can understand if his brother and I were also friends but I've actually never met his brother before.

I remember when my younger brother got married.  We got a kegger and my other younger brother started inviting his friends over.  I had to pull him aside and tell him this wasn't a house party and he better tell his friends to go home.

What does everybody else on here think about these things?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Giggles_Shyly

Re: Invitations to traditional Hmong weddings
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:13:02 AM »
Simple thought here.....

Go if you feel like going, don't go if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

I don't want to go to any functions if I don't know at least one person and I have to know that person enough to hold a conversation(s) through out the whole ordeal. Logic sinks in after a few minutes when no one comes up to you and you are holding a drink in the corner some where.

THOUGHTS come rushing in: "What am I doing here? I hardly know anyone, and yet I came. When is this over?"

Overall, don't go if you and him are not close, it would just be uncomfortable especially wedding invites since they are personal.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 10:14:59 AM »
Did he also asked for drinking helpers? 

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »
Simple thought here.....

Go if you feel like going, don't go if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

I don't want to go to any functions if I don't know at least one person and I have to know that person enough to hold a conversation(s) through out the whole ordeal. Logic sinks in after a few minutes when no one comes up to you and you are holding a drink in the corner some where.

THOUGHTS come rushing in: "What am I doing here? I hardly know anyone, and yet I came. When is this over?"

Overall, don't go if you and him are not close, it would just be uncomfortable especially wedding invites since they are personal.
Why would you ever be holding a drink in the corner of a traditional Hmong wedding?

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

minorcharacter

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 10:22:50 AM »
Did he also asked for drinking helpers?

No, his family is pretty big so I don't think that will be an issue either way.  I've never met any of them but he's mentioned it before.

Anyways, I've already decided I won't be attending since people will turn heads and wonder who I am.  I was just wondering if anyone else has had personal experiences they wanted to share.

minorcharacter

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »

more thoughts...wha t a good time to hit on the Green Lady and/or getting to know other single people...but quite the truth, it would be awkward not knowing anyone at the party, except for one.
Good point, Tai Lau.  I guess I will be going now.   :2funny:

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
Why would you ever be holding a drink in the corner of a traditional Hmong wedding?

Drink as in water or soda...LOL. One of those ackward moments :P

minorcharacter

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »
Drink as in water or soda...LOL. One of those ackward moments :P
Water or soda?  Giggles, don't be such a virgin.

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 10:33:08 AM »
 >:D fine my tray of vodka shots 8)

chidorix0x

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 02:41:15 PM »
...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

minorcharacter, how is this a traditional Hmong wedding; having friends over at night to drink out of/from a keg?  ...  KEKEKE  ...   ::)

Ya sureZ it was nuTTerZzz a HA'Mung non-traditional wedding that ya HA'Mung have mislabeled/alledge  ...  kekeke  ...   >:D

minorcharacter

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 02:49:19 PM »
Eh, someone said to bring alcohol.  Someone else suggested everyone just pitch in for a keg.  A lot of us young guys just do what we're told to make all the elders happy.  As far as I know there was nothing traditional about it.  There's not a lot of merit in knowing text book culture these days; except for bragging rights on the internet of course.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 08:02:15 AM »
No, his family is pretty big so I don't think that will be an issue either way.  I've never met any of them but he's mentioned it before.

Anyways, I've already decided I won't be attending since people will turn heads and wonder who I am.  I was just wondering if anyone else has had personal experiences they wanted to share.
That's when you grab the mike and say, I'm the wedding singer... This song is dedicated to the only person I know of... ;D

Whoah awkward, so this isn't the Johnston's wedding party?  I'm must be at the wrong address... This is where?  I need to leave, ty ty tyvm.

Congrats to the new couple. Cya.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 12:41:49 PM »
A friend of mine called me up last night to ask me to attend his younger brother's wedding (traditional Hmong).  I wasn't sure how to reply.  We're not that close and I haven't seen the guy in about six months.  I can understand if his brother and I were also friends but I've actually never met his brother before.

I remember when my younger brother got married.  We got a kegger and my other younger brother started inviting his friends over.  I had to pull him aside and tell him this wasn't a house party and he better tell his friends to go home.

What does everybody else on here think about these things?

I don't know your friend or his brother so I think it comes down to your gut feeling...

FetishDream

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 12:55:51 PM »
You are not crashing a party because you got an invite.  Go and see how the person who invited you there handle such situation. 

They pass if
-from time to time, they would run back to you instead of making you sit in a corner by yourself.  They invite so they will be your host and what you want, they will get it for you.  In this way, you do not have to bump elbows with people you do not know there.  He must also introduce you to some people too and find a conversation worth talking and just join such group.

they fail if
-they disappear on you and your nervousness causes you to get paranoia tendency and hives starting to break

Overall, it is a good event for spectators.  Especially those who are a tad far away from being a hamunk 

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 01:37:06 AM »
If you're not a social butterfly then you'll have a miserable time. Weddings and funerals are both great ways to connect with other Hmong people in the community while supporting the family whether it be to celebrate a marriage or grieve a lost one. As long as you're invited then you have nothing to be ashamed of. That's the beauty of being a Hmong. You only have to know one person to get to know a hundred others. 

Advertisements