Advertisement

Author Topic: Talking To Ancestors In English  (Read 1466 times)

Blongforever

Talking To Ancestors In English
« on: June 21, 2016, 06:06:54 PM »
Those that still thov pog/yawg, would it work praying in English since your ancestors didn't understand the English Language?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

DJ-Jayce

Re: Talking To Ancestors In English
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 06:33:58 PM »
Those that still thov pog/yawg, would it work praying in English since your ancestors didn't understand the English Language?

Based on this assumption, would it really matter even if you prayed in Hmong? Depending on how far back you're tracing your ancestry, there's a high chance their version of the Hmong language isn't the same one we know of today. The Hmong language we know of today has gone through many revisions and dialects like many other languages. The Miao in China is technically Hmong, just as are we, likely sharing a common ancestor. If you trace that far back, those ancestors would definitely not understand any of the modern versions of Hmong.

Prayer is more about faith & sincerity than the language it's being convened in. This is my opinion.

Blongforever

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 05:59:09 PM »
Based on this assumption, would it really matter even if you prayed in Hmong? Depending on how far back you're tracing your ancestry, there's a high chance their version of the Hmong language isn't the same one we know of today. The Hmong language we know of today has gone through many revisions and dialects like many other languages. The Miao in China is technically Hmong, just as are we, likely sharing a common ancestor. If you trace that far back, those ancestors would definitely not understand any of the modern versions of Hmong.

Prayer is more about faith & sincerity than the language it's being convened in. This is my opinion.

True, Jesus did not even speak English.  LOL!!!  What am I thinking :) ?

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 06:51:03 PM »
I speak Lao only when I am talking to my ancestors.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 10:57:46 PM »
You can speak English to your ancestors.  Whether you pray or asking for your ancestors help, you are really talking to yourself.  So, you  need the do it in a language you understand.  It would not be effective if you can't understand it.  Because it is for you. 

Advertisements