Advertisement

Author Topic: Can this Hmong Republican win in St. Paul, Minnesota?  (Read 498 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Can this Hmong Republican win in St. Paul, Minnesota?
« on: February 17, 2022, 05:49:55 PM »
St. Paul Hmong refugee, teacher announces run for GOP nod to challenge Betty McCollum

May Lor Xiong, a former Hmong refugee and 20-year St. Paul Public Schools teacher, announced Thursday she will seek the Republican endorsement to challenge 11-term U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, a Democrat, in Minnesota’s 4th Congressional District.

In her announcement, Xiong described herself as a “proud mother of four” and St. Paul resident who immigrated to America in 1987 at age 8 as a Hmong refugee. A former English Language teacher and a real estate broker for eight years, she holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Concordia University in St. Paul.

“While I am proud of my Hmong heritage, I am equally proud to be an American,” she said in a statement.

American dreams are under attack by the Left, she said. “I decided to run for Congress as a Republican to protect the dreams of each and every American.”

Her campaign manager, James Carson, said, “May exemplifies the values that Republicans hold close. Despite great adversity in her life, she survived and thrived. She is a great candidate to win the east metro Twin Cities congressional seat.”

That will be a stiff challenge. The 4th District, which covers Ramsey and most of Washington counties, is solidly Democratic. The DFL has held the seat without interruption since 1949. After first winning the seat in 2000, McCollum, the dean of the Minnesota Congressional delegation, has been easily re-elected 10 times, usually by more than 30 percentage points.

Xiong will face Mikki Murray in the Aug. 9 Republican primary election for the seat.

McCollum is being challenged in the DFL primary by Amane Badhasso,  Evan Kail and Fasil Moghul.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Can this Hmong Republican win in St. Paul, Minnesota?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 06:28:48 PM »
So, "...The DFL has held the seat without interruption since 1949..."

Lots of ancestral history remain there.

But it appears the Republican party is looking for ways to take over that place. They tried a Hmong Lo guy last time. They realized he was a man and couldn't go far. McCollum is a woman. So now, a new strategy with the use of a Hmong and a woman combined.

"...It's too much winning; we can't take it anymore..."--Trump

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/08/18/trump-albany-rally-winning-sot.cnn

« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 09:11:00 PM by Reporter »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 07:48:10 PM »
Good luck to her since I can’t vote for her  ;D

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 04:45:27 AM »
I wonder if they're just gonna rally the Hmong to vote for Hmong.  ;D propaganda thing all over.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 06:51:42 AM »
They feel that all will vote for Hmong.

I wonder if they're just gonna rally the Hmong to vote for Hmong.  ;D propaganda thing all over.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 06:56:16 AM by Reporter »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Advertisements