Advertisement

Author Topic: Some say women are bad at direction and geography, well this is really bad  (Read 139 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
A student was excited to move to Florida for college. Then she realized she'd applied to Miami University — in Ohio.

When Valerie Do, 19, applied to study at Miami University in 2021, she was excited by the prospect of spending her days lounging on beaches in the sun in Florida, surrounded by palm trees like she'd seen in the movies.

As an international student living in Vietnam, she couldn't visit the university before applying. So when the university sent her an acceptance letter welcoming her to Ohio, Do felt confused.

At first, she wondered whether Ohio might be a district or a county in Florida. But after a quick Google search, her beach fantasy was shattered when she realized she wouldn't be going to the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida, as she'd initially thought. She'd be going to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

Miami University in Ohio was founded in 1809 and named after the Great Miami River in southwestern Ohio. The name of the city of Miami, Florida, is derived from the Native Tequesta name "Mayaimi," believed to mean "big water" or "sweet water," according to Encyclopedia Britannica.

"I realized there are no beaches; it's just a cornfield in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest of America," Do told Insider.

After spending some time researching, Do said she realized Miami University had a good business school. She decided to accept the offer, and she moved from Vietnam to Ohio.

In her job as a campus tour guide at her university, Do often told students the story behind how she'd ended up there. People found the story funny, so when she heard the trending TikTok sound "I'm Already There" by Lonestar — a song about being somewhere in spirit even though you can't be physically present — she decided to use it to make fun of herself for the mistake.

In the video posted on October 4, Do is sitting in front of her laptop as she mimes along to the song and gestures dramatically. In the text overlaying the video, she wrote: "When someone says 'go to hell' but I am studying abroad at Miami University of Ohio. I thought it was Miami Florida and did not realize. There are no beaches here it's just corn field and in the middle of nowhere."

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +650
    • View Profile

Not my picture but when a bowl of pho cost $23 American dollars at Hanoi airport, Vietnam came a long way. We’ll be seeing more college bound students from Vietnam but saw none during my time years ago. Plenty of viets from here though.

Some men are pretty bad directions as well.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Research, research, research....

I bet if these people see Paris, AR they might think it is the actual Paris in France  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Speaking of "Wagyu" pho, this one is $170 in Ho Chi Min City, better be A5 rated wagyu... ;D:

This premium $170 bowl of pho has wagyu beef

A restaurant in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, is selling a premium bowl of pho with wagyu beef, foie gras and more for 4 million Vietnamese dong (approximately $170).

Where to find it: The dish, which is prepared by chef Le Trung, can be found at Oriental Pearl Restaurant in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The restaurant is located in the Vinpearl Landmark 81, Ho Chi Minh City's tallest building.

Advertisements