Advertisement

Author Topic: Growing up with supportive and loving parents is key...  (Read 90 times)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
Growing up with supportive and loving parents is key...
« on: February 26, 2024, 11:22:53 PM »
...you are less likely to be an abuser or to stay with an abuser.

So I've been studying a lot about narcissism and narcissistic traits. It seems to me that people who attract and stay with narcissists have abandonment issues stemming from their childhood as a result of neglect. These people hold on to toxic relationships because they don't believe they can find better or simply don't think they can find anybody else. Even when they know the relationship is affecting their mental health, they struggle to leave. There are even those with avoidant attachment style that say they don't need a relationship but will seek out tumultuous relationships one after another. Since their parents did not provide a supportive environment, they develop unhealthy attachments to harmful individuals later in life. They feel like having something is better than nothing.

Therefore, parents love your children so they develop a healthy self-esteem to love and be loved; so that they may never settle for convenience, and that they will be strong enough to leave when a situation no longer serves their best interest. And where do they get the courage? Because they know that even if the relationship doesn't work out, they have a loving and supportive family to come home to. 

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

Offline JonniJacko

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Re: Growing up with supportive and loving parents is key...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 10:53:31 PM »
I agree, good parents put their children's well being and happiness first. Or they should.

Like this post: 0

Advertisements