Advertisement

Author Topic: bass fishing  (Read 485823 times)

q

Re: bass fishing
« Reply #2460 on: June 02, 2011, 01:49:42 PM »
Question for you bass fanantics...

What do you guys recommend when targeting deeper bass (8ft+) in open water with very little structure?  

???
Jig works, deep diving crank/lipless.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

q

« Reply #2461 on: June 02, 2011, 01:50:31 PM »

If they are active, just throw deeper cranks. If they are not as active, slow down with soft plastics. just jig or drag it along the bottom.

I sometimes use a 1oz jig to bounce along the bottom..u can fish pretty fast and cover lots of water like that.
I was told, go no heavier than 1/2oz for open water.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:19:52 PM by q »

addisonlee

« Reply #2462 on: June 02, 2011, 01:53:48 PM »

If they are active, just throw deeper cranks. If they are not as active, slow down with soft plastics. just jig or drag it along the bottom.

I sometimes use a 1oz jig to bounce along the bottom..u can fish pretty fast and cover lots of water like that.

1oz?  :o

Reminds me of walleye fishing ;D Any specific type of jig?  ???

Photocycle

« Reply #2463 on: June 02, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
I was told, go no heavier than 1/5oz for open water.

Hmmmm.. that's too bad.

addisonlee

« Reply #2464 on: June 02, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
Jig works, deep diving crank/lipless.

Any spcific colors? There's alot of weeds in this area, so I might stay away from deep divers. Don't want to loose them. LOL.

Photocycle

« Reply #2465 on: June 02, 2011, 01:56:12 PM »
1oz?  :o

Reminds me of walleye fishing ;D Any specific type of jig?  ???

Any bass jigs will do. I don't have any particular brand because I usually build my own with generic jig heads and skirts, etc.

Use the weedless jig heads for grass flats and football heads for rocky bottoms.  O0

Photocycle

« Reply #2466 on: June 02, 2011, 02:03:33 PM »
Any spcific colors? There's alot of weeds in this area, so I might stay away from deep divers. Don't want to loose them. LOL.

just match the hatch... can't go wrong with white/chartreuse or any other colors on MN/WI lakes. Use stronger line like 12-17lb fluro or even braid... when the cranks get stuck in grass, pause for a sec then rip it out... gotta love reaction strikes!

addisonlee

« Reply #2467 on: June 02, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »
Good advice guys. Will have to give them a shot.  O0

Photocycle

« Reply #2468 on: June 02, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »
Good advice guys. Will have to give them a shot.  O0

if ur ever in the twin cities, hit us up... can take you out to medicine or tonka or something for some deep weed line fishing.

Gym -E- Lamm

« Reply #2469 on: June 02, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
Addison,

Are you a jig guy? Cause if you aren't or haven't really used them alot...you will hate fishing with a jig in weeds from shore. A lot of people say use a jig but if you don't use jigs on a regular basis it's much easier said than done. I remember when I started using jigs (2 years ago)...I freaking hated it. All I would get is weeds and never knew what a bite on a jig felt like. It is true though, you will catch a lot bigger fish on jigs than other baits.

Anyways...is that weed coming to the top of the water or is it like 2 feet from the top etc. Is it heavy weeds? Or sparse cover? Either way...I would just throw a senko...wacky or weedless or wacky weedless...LOL

Gym -E- Lamm

« Reply #2470 on: June 02, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »
if ur ever in the twin cities, hit us up... can take you out to medicine or tonka or something for some deep weed line fishing.

I live in the Twin Cities and never once has Photo taken me out to do some deep weed line fishing.... :tickedoff:

LOL

Roc

« Reply #2471 on: June 02, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
I dropshot.. Thats how I picked up my almost 22 incher, 6lb 10oz..

That's the technique here on the west coast that's been killing them. The most basic is a dropshot with a fluke, but you can go fancy and buy the specific dropshot worms and minnows.

My question is have you guys bought into the swimbait craze yet? I plan on using some when I get up there, to see if your guys' bass are as crazy about them as ours are.

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #2472 on: June 02, 2011, 02:22:32 PM »
I don't get in deep diving cranks. maybe I'm missing out but i toss 3/4 and 5/8 jigs. BAM!! Sometimes when they're not into huge profile baits, I'll throw a carolina rig with small plastics.

Dropshot is another one. Although, i haven't been using it as much as I should. I will this year.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:24:21 PM by bASS_BLASTER »

Roc

« Reply #2473 on: June 02, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
Fly_Guy you found a favorite yet?

Photocycle

« Reply #2474 on: June 02, 2011, 02:25:49 PM »
I live in the Twin Cities and never once has Photo taken me out to do some deep weed line fishing.... :tickedoff:
LOL

Well I was referring to Jimmy that will take you out fishing... lol  ;D

j/k

Advertisements