Advertisement

Author Topic: Bible Study - Class meets on Thursday from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM CST.  (Read 133159 times)

LadyLionness

Re: Bible Study - Class meets on Thursday from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM CST.
« Reply #810 on: September 26, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »
Jesus answered them by saying, "Neither will I tell you."  Jesus exposed the hypocrisy of the question, unmasking their evil motives.  He wasted no truth on them.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

LadyLionness

« Reply #811 on: September 26, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »
In Matthew 7:6, Jesus said, "Don't give holy things to dogs, and don't throw your pearls before pigs.  Pigs will only trample on them, and dogs will turn to attack you."

Pigs were unclean animals according to God's law in the Old Testament (Deuteronomy 14:8).  Anyone who touched an unclean animal became "ceremonially unclean" and could not go to the Temple to worship until the uncleanness was removed.  Jesus says that we should not entrust holy teachings to unholy or unclean people.  It is futile to try to teach holy concepts to people who don't want to listen and will only tear apart what we say.  This does not mean that we stop giving God's Word to unbelievers, but that we should be wise and discerning in what we teach to whom so we will not be wasting our time.

LadyLionness

« Reply #812 on: September 26, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »
Dear Lord,

As always, your Word is alive and reveals new meanings to me each time that I study it.  Thank you.  Father, I ask that you be with each one of us and continue to show us that in Jesus Christ himself, you have given us the perfect example to follow.  Lord, in all things that we say and do, may they all be to your glory.  All this I ask in Jesus' name, Amen.

LadyLionness

« Reply #813 on: February 08, 2014, 06:56:20 PM »
I am supposed to be doing XF Wayne Yang's Looj Ceeb Radio Show today, but I am stuck at work. 

Everytime I listen to this song, I feel like I can fly.  I want to cry, I want to laugh, and I want dance.  This song moves me like no other song in the world.  Whenever I really need to get work done, I have to listen to this song.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:03:05 PM by LadyLionness »

LadyLionness

« Reply #814 on: February 08, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
A modern adaptation of the story about he man who wrote "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessings,"  Robert Robinson.

LadyLionness

« Reply #815 on: February 08, 2014, 06:59:34 PM »
The actual story.  As I neared the end, I started balling.  Good thing I am the only one here.  If you love this song half as much as I do, you might want to read this.

Prone to Wander, Lord I Feel It

Tim Brister —  September 14, 2009

O to grace how great a debtor
 Daily I’m constrained to be!
 Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
 Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
 Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
 Prone to leave the God I love;
 Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
 Seal it for Thy courts above.

These words were written by in 1758 by Robert Robinson, three years after his conversion at the age of 23.  In a drunken stupor at the age of 17, Robinson and his friends attended an evangelistic meeting of George Whitefield where he preached on the wrath of God.  It was his testimony that Whitefield’s message tormented his conscience for three years until he found rest in Jesus Christ.  Shortly thereafter, Robinson embraced the call to ministry in the Calvinist Methodist tradition.

The reality of which Robinson spoke of in the third stanza of “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing” tragically came true when he lapsed into a lifestyle of sin and even turning to Unitarianism.  It was during this time that the story is told of Robinson entering a stagecoach with a lady joyously humming one of her favorite hymns.  Turning to him, she asked if he knew the hymn that had ministered to her so much.  Robinson replied:  “Madam, I am the poor unhappy man who wrote that hymn many years ago, and I would give a thousand worlds, if I had them, to enjoy the feelings I had then.”

Why is it that we need to preach the gospel to ourselves?  Why is it that we desperately need to live in the good of the gospel on a daily basis?  It is because of this reality: “prone to wander Lord, I feel it; prone to leave the God I love.”  Peter admonishes his readers to see they don’t become blind and unfruitful, having forgotten that God had cleansed them of their former sins (2 Pet. 1:9).  Augustine and Martin Luther both spoke of the state of living incurvatus in se which is Latin for man living bent in on himself.  Through the gospel, that bent is changed from oneself to God, but that does not mean that such a Godward bent does not come without being shaped by the gospel.

How do you go from writing such powerful and soul-stirring words as in the hymn “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing” only to later get to a place where you would “give a thousand worlds” to know and experience what you had in the Lord?  I would argue that it begins with assuming the gospel only to later forget it.  This is why all the talk about living gospel-centered lives is so important.

The good news is Robinson’s life did not end “in the far country.”  In that encounter with the lady in the stagecoach, God used the very gospel words he once wrote as they were spoken from the mouth of this anonymous woman to draw him to repentance back to a restored fellowship with whom there is “streams of mercy never ceasing.”

May all who love Jesus drink deep of the fountain of delight, treasure the pearl of greatest price, taste the goodness of the Lord, and continually feast at the banqueting table of His presence.  And may we live with a Godward bent through the transforming power of the gospel for the day when we shall indeed see “the glory of God in the face of Jesus.”

O that day when freed from sinning,
 I shall see Thy lovely face;
 Clothed then in blood washed linen
 How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:01:42 PM by LadyLionness »

LadyLionness

« Reply #816 on: April 15, 2014, 08:04:04 AM »
This is my favorite thread in all of PH, equal to or perhaps even surpassing the Fashion Slave thread.  I am excited about starting this one again.

I miss all of you guys.  If you are still here, come and say hi to me. 

LadyL

LadyLionness

« Reply #817 on: April 19, 2014, 08:12:23 PM »
1 Corinthians 15:1-10

New Century Version (NCV)

The Good News About Christ

15 Now, brothers and sisters, I want you to remember the Good News I brought to you. You received this Good News and continue strong in it. 2 And you are being saved by it if you continue believing what I told you. If you do not, then you believed for nothing.

3 I passed on to you what I received, of which this was most important: that Christ died for our sins, as the Scriptures say; 4 that he was buried and was raised to life on the third day as the Scriptures say; 5 and that he was seen by Peter and then by the twelve apostles. 6 After that, Jesus was seen by more than five hundred of the believers at the same time. Most of them are still living today, but some have died. 7 Then he was seen by James and later by all the apostles. 8 Last of all he was seen by me—as by a person not born at the normal time. 9 All the other apostles are greater than I am. I am not even good enough to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.10 But God’s grace has made me what I am, and his grace to me was not wasted. I worked harder than all the other apostles. (But it was not I really; it was God’s grace that was with me.)

LadyLionness

« Reply #818 on: April 19, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
1 Corinthians 15:2

When I picture Jesus Christ dying on the cross, I see the free gift of God's grace in Christ reconciling to Himself all those who believe and repent.  Grace occurs when something we don't deserve is given to us freely.  It is the free gift of God to needy men and women. 

In 2 Corinthians, 5:21, Paul said, "God made him (Christ) who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 

The only condition for this free gift is to BELIEVE.

In 1 Corinthians 5:2 says that "unless you believed in vain," or in another translation "And you are being saved by it if you continue to believing what I told.  If you do not, then you believed for nothing."  Basically, some may have a shallow, non-saving faith.  Some believed only as the demon believed, for example, they were convinced the gospel was true, but had no love for God, Christ, and righteousness.  True believers "hold fast" to the gospel.

LadyLionness

« Reply #819 on: April 20, 2014, 07:19:18 AM »
"Christ is risen!" 

"He is risen indeed!"

The reality and excitement of the resurrection is that "if Chris has not been raised ... we are all people most to be pitied."  (1 Corinthians 15:17, 19)

LadyLionness

« Reply #820 on: April 20, 2014, 07:23:59 AM »
1 Corinthians 15:55-58

55 “Death is destroyed forever in victory.” Isaiah 25:8
“Death, where is your victory? Death, where is your pain?” Hosea 13:14
56 Death’s power to hurt is sin, and the power of sin is the law.57 But we thank God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58 So my dear brothers and sisters, stand strong. Do not let anything move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your work in the Lord is never wasted.

LadyLionness

« Reply #821 on: April 20, 2014, 07:31:53 AM »
Easter is a season of great gladness for those who know Christ.  But for those who are without "the light of the knowledge of God's glory" (2 Corinthians 4:6), there is nothing to rejoice over.

Jesus left us with the great hope and certainty that He is going to return to bring a new Heave and a new earth wehre, we re told, there will be no more sorrow, trouble, or death for those who have believed and followed Him.  There will be trouble, sorrow, and suffering for those who have neglected or rejected Him.  As Christians, our great task is to obey the command to tell the whole world about Christ crucified, buried, yet risen again.  My prayer for you during this season of the year, when we think about our Savior's great sacrifice for us on the cross, is that you will be filled with great peace and hope, because "He is risen!"  That is the Good News.

As you follow Christ, are you obeying His command to tell others that He is risen indeed?

Are you living the reality of Jesus' victory over death?  In what tangible ways can you share that victory with others so that they, too, can have life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1wqa3AQ6M&index=23&list=PLPgUbngEL85RIwP1C0NmMFso2F_GifMJZ

LadyLionness

« Reply #822 on: April 20, 2014, 07:35:53 AM »

The Old Rugged Cross - The Emblem of Suffering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXAqoZuYvyA&list=PLPgUbngEL85RIwP1C0NmMFso2F_GifMJZ[/font]
[/size]

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:39:45 AM by LadyLionness »

LadyLionness

« Reply #823 on: April 20, 2014, 07:36:39 AM »

Are You Washed In The Blood - In the Soul-Cleansing Blood of the Lamb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R52heyok9Ps&list=PLPgUbngEL85RIwP1C0NmMFso2F_GifMJZ

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:40:50 AM by LadyLionness »

LadyLionness

Advertisements