Advertisement

Author Topic: Domestic Violence Class  (Read 3349 times)

LadyLionness

Domestic Violence Class
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:30:59 AM »
I will try to share some things that I have learned along the way about Domestic Violence.  Anyone who wants to know more or want to read ahead on their own can get a copy of the book I will post below.  If you have any questions, please do ask.  However, any obscene or disrespectful remarks will be deleted and warnings will be issued.

Disclaimer:  I am not an expert in this subject, nor do I work in this field.  I lived through this and have not only survived, but have overcame it.  In the past I have recommended this book to people who may be experiencing it, but they did not get the book, for one reason or another. 

As I thought more about it, I realized that many of them could be in danger if the abuser found this book in their possession.  Some can come on PH during their work hours.  Hopefully the info here can shed some light into their situation and help them understand their partner better.

If you order it from Walmart and have them deliver it to your local Walmart, the shipping will be free.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2283331?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

"He doesn't mean to hurt me-he just loses control."
"He can be sweet and gentle."
"He's scared me a few times, but he never hurts the children-he's a great father."
"He's had a really hard life..."

Women in abusive relationships tell themselves these things every day. Now they can see inside the minds of angry and controlling men-and change their own lives. In this groundbreaking book, a counselor shows how to improve, survive, or leave an abusive relationship, with:

> The early warning signs€ Nine abusive personality types
> How to tell if an abuser can change, is changing, or ever will
> The role of drugs and alcohol
> What can be fixed, and what can't
> How to leave a relationship safely

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:22:03 AM by LadyLionness »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

LadyLionness

Re: Domestic Violence Class
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »
The Abusive Mentality (Part 1)

His attitude always seems to be:  "You we me."

He manages to twist everything around so that it's my fault.

I feel suffocated by him.  He's trying to run my life.

Everyone seems to think he's the greatest guy in the world.  I wish they could see the side of him that I have to live with.

He says he loves me so much.  So why does he treat me like this?

Chronic mistreatment gets people to doubt themselves.  The first goal of an abused woman is to regain trust in herself; to rely on her own perceptions, listen to her own internal voices. 

You don't really need an "expert" on abuse to explain your life to you; what you do need above all is some support and encouragement to hold on to your own truth.  Your abusive partner wants to deny your experience.  He wants to pluck your view of reality out of your head and replace it with his. 

When someone has invaded your identify in this way enough times, you naturally start to lose your balance.  But you can find your way back to center.

An abuser creates a host of misconceptions to get his partner to doubt herself and to make it possible for him to lead her down dead-end paths.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:07:03 PM by LadyLionness »

LadyLionness

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »
The Abusive Mentality (Part 2)

Reality 1:  He is controlling

An abuser believe in his right to control his partner's action; he expected his word to be the last word; and he did not accept defiance.  He considered it his right to punish her - in the most severe way he could think of - if she took steps to recover ownership of her life.  He talked proudly of how he had "allowed" her various freedoms while they were together, as if he were her parent, and defended his right to remove her privileges when he thought the time had come.

Control comes in many different forms.  Some have been so extremely controlling they could have passed for military commanders.  One went so far as to require his children to do calisthenics each morning before school.  His wife was not allowed to speak to ANYONE without his permission, and he would order her back to her room to change clothes in the morning if he didn't approve of her outfit.  At dinner time, he would sit back and comment like a restaurant reviewer on the strengths and weaknesses of what she had prepared and would periodically instruct her to go to the kitchen to get things for the children, as if she were a waitress.

This man's style was at one end of the spectrum of controlling behavior, however.  Most stake out specific turf to control, like an explorer claiming land, rather than trying to run everything.  Another abuser may be fanatical about having to win every argument but leave his partner alone about what she wears.  One may permit his partner to argue with him about the children, for example, but if she refused to let him change he TV station when he wants, watch out.  Another may have a curfew for his partner, while one will allow his partner to come and go as she pleases - as long as she makes hi meals and does his laundry.

biggieT

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »
If you like that book, read Saving Bernice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1555534384/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/188-6367462-5780136

Good luck with your class.

Like this post: +1

LadyLionness

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:38:47 PM »
Thank you, BiggieT.  I will certainly check out that book.  I have looked through a few books on domestic violence and the one I am using to teach this class is the most comprehensive and accurate.  The reason why is that they do not treat the victims... they actually treat the abusers, so they have a greater access to how these people think and how they behave.

If there is anyone who knows someone who may be in this situation, it would not hurt to get a copy of this book for yourself so that you can understand... and then if possible, pass it onto the other person.

LadyLionness

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »
The Abusive Mentality (Part 3)

THE SPHERES OF CONTROL

An abusive man's control generally falls into one ormore of the following central spheres:

>Arguments and Decision Making
>Personal Freedom
>Parenting

LadyLionness

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:28 PM »
The Abusive Mentality (Part 3a)

ARGUMENTS AND DECISION MAKING

An intimate relationship involves a steady flow of decisions to be made conflicting needs to negotiate, tastes and desires to balance.  Who is going to clean up the mess in the kitchen?  How much time should we spend alone together and how much with other friends?  Where do our other hobbies and interests fit into our priorities?  How will we process and resolve annoyances or hurt feelings?  What rules will we have for our children?

The mindset that an abuser brings to these choices and tensions can make him impossible to get along with.  Consider how challenging it is to negotiate or compromise with a person who operates on the following tenets (whether they are spoken out loud or not).

1.  "An argument should only last as long as my patience does.  Once I've had enough, the discussion is over and it's time for you to shut up."

2.  "If the issue we're struggling over is important to me, I should get what I want.  If you don't back off, you're wronging me."

3.  "I know what is best for you and for our relationship.  If you continue disagreeing with me after I ahve made it clear which path is the right one, you're acting stupid."

4.  "If my control and authority seem to be slipping, I have the right to take steps to reestablish the rule of my will, including abuse if necessary."

The last item on this list is the one that most distinguishes the abuser from other people.  Perhaps any of us can slip into having feelings like the other ones in number one through three, but the abuser gives himself permission to TAKE ACTION on the basis of his beliefs.  With him, the forgoing statements aren't feelings; they are closely held convictions that he uses to guide his actions.  That is why they lead to so much bullying behavior.

biggieT

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 11:45:08 PM »
You're teaching the class eh? Academia is great, but have you ever done work in the field?

LadyLionness

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 01:24:44 AM »
No. 

Just sharing the info in the book.  And I have lived through it.

LadyLionness

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »
There are lots of info online about domestic violence, but none goes deep into the minds of abusive people.

biggieT

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 03:57:49 PM »
I think it's great what you are doing. I think what is very important is for other women to hear your story. People find hope and strength in others and it might an inspiration to others. It's a lot like love. You can preach about love and try to teach love, but a person won't really take it in until you can show them love.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 11:25:49 PM »
I've never been in a relationship with an abusive man. I've always had great intuition about men and know which ones are bad news. I don't know if good intuitions can be taught though. What I'm really curious is to understand how women miss the red flags. For example, a controlling man. Did you mistake him to be something else? And what were the impressions you got of him before realizing that he was abusive? Knowing that would be very helpful.

I also believe that abusers know how to pick their victims. A helpful resource would be a book written from an abuser's p.o.v. and why they choose the woman they're with. This way, you can be sure NOT to be that type of woman.

This thread is very interesting.

LadyLionness

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
BNM,

You are correct in that there are red signs.  Most of us, for whatever reasons or another, do miss the signs.  I think part of it is also what we grew up with, what we unconsciously define as to be love.  That is what we are unconsciously attracted to.  It isn't a sign of how smart or intelligent a person is or is not.  Domestic Violence affects people of all different educational and intellectual levels. 

The book I have listed is written from as close to an abuser's point of view as possible.  It is written by men who work with abuser men.  They run a clinic where abusers check in for a defined period of time.

And yes, a person can be taught how to spot these red flags.  This book does a very good job of doing that.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 12:22:32 AM »
BNM,

You are correct in that there are red signs.  Most of us, for whatever reasons or another, do miss the signs.  I think part of it is also what we grew up with, what we unconsciously define as to be love.  That is what we are unconsciously attracted to.  It isn't a sign of how smart or intelligent a person is or is not.  Domestic Violence affects people of all different educational and intellectual levels. 

The book I have listed is written from as close to an abuser's point of view as possible.  It is written by men who work with abuser men.  They run a clinic where abusers check in for a defined period of time.

And yes, a person can be taught how to spot these red flags.  This book does a very good job of doing that.

I agree with you that abused victims has nothing to do with their level of intelligence, class, or race.

I've been fortunate because I am not the type of woman that abusers want.  :knuppel2:  ;D  >:D  :police:

proudlao

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 12:26:15 AM »
LOL  ;D

Advertisements