Advertisement

Poll

Should you marry a Vue girl?  

Don't do it! You know the consequences!
It doesn't matter.  It's all superstition.
I don't know why this is an issue. Why is it considered bad?

Author Topic: Don't Marry a Vue Girl!  (Read 11209 times)

bulbasaur

Don't Marry a Vue Girl!
« on: August 10, 2016, 08:39:56 PM »
I'm not gonna go into the history of it all, but some of you might know what I am talking about.  Anyways, the big question: Do young people today (under 25) even consider this anymore?  Has this gone the way of black cats and broken mirrors?  It would be interesting to know what kids today think. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Giggles_Shyly

Re: Don't Marry a Vue Girl!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 07:54:36 AM »
It might just be a vicious rumor someone made up because he/she got rejected by a Vue person. That person made it so real Hmong people just factualized it as true tellings.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:01:55 AM »
Personally, it never mattered to me. Oh, I'm sure the superstitious belief at one point in time had a relevant back story. But I want to believe ignorance played a part in it.

Of course, all of us are entitled to our own personal beliefs. The pragmatic in me says don't limit yourself.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 05:37:12 PM »
Is this the same crap like that one where Yangs can't eat heart or Hangs can't eat certain fruit with their food?
It's all a load of crap... nothing more.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 06:52:05 PM »
The Yang prohibition, let's keep it that way because we other clans wouldn't want someone competing for the delicious heart. lol

Is this the same crap like that one where Yangs can't eat heart or Hangs can't eat certain fruit with their food?

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »
The Yang prohibition, let's keep it that way because we other clans wouldn't want someone competing for the delicious heart. lol

O0
I know lots of Yangs that eat the heart and nothing happens to them.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »
Those have discovered what's been kept from them all these centuries.

I keep thinking: the heart is connected to the rest of the body of any animal the Yangs eat. If they can eat other parts of the animal, why is the heart an issue? And then the blood runs through the heart to other parts of the body, too. If they can eat raw blood or even cooked blood, why not the heart as well?

I don't know how to answer those questions. Must be a Fear-Factor kind of thing.

O0
I know lots of Yangs that eat the heart and nothing happens to them.

"...

yuknowthat

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 09:53:05 PM »

Koj yim yig thiab ntshai ntau ces qhov qab luag twb muab noj tag >:D. Ntshe xyov puas tau pob txha kaws.  :2funny: :2funny:

Ntxhais hmoob xeem dabtsi los yeej zoo nkauj tas thiab zoo tas tu :D. Tsuas cov niag ruam es tseem khuv xim txog niaj hnub no tsis tau deev thiaj tseem hais cov niag qub lus ruam ruam ko. :2funny:

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »

It is not even superstition just some weird practice to follow or made up by certain clan because of something so small but make it out to be so big/serious.  Then the OG mentality keep it in mind for generations... ..........

Whenever I eat papaya salad I like to have some rice with it on the same plate.  My husband told me that their Vang can't do that.  Whenever I put fruits on the counter next to ??? He say they can't do that either.  I told him....damn no wonder you guy hardly buy fruit to eat which is missing among the foods group. 

Many thing is nothing but crap with nothing proven beyond it.  It just more of you can't do this or that. 

gwenhyfara

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 11:21:11 PM »
Those have discovered what's been kept from them all these centuries.

I keep thinking: the heart is connected to the rest of the body of any animal the Yangs eat. If they can eat other parts of the animal, why is the heart an issue? And then the blood runs through the heart to other parts of the body, too. If they can eat raw blood or even cooked blood, why not the heart as well?

I don't know how to answer those questions. Must be a Fear-Factor kind of thing.

Some yang clans cannot eat hearts because a long time ago, their ancestors did something very bad and so they were cursed to never eat hearts or else be struck down with misfortune. Some believe the superstition but some caiv plawv out of respect for what happened in the past.

To answer the OP'S question, Vue people were considered "tsis huv" and so the older generation always said to avoid them. That was a long time ago though. Don't really hear that kinda thing nowadays. Young folks 25 years old and below probably tsis paub and tsis k.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »
So it is more of a spiritual thing on the heart issue then.

Ok. Makes sense.

Can't wait to meet a hot Vue girl.

Some yang clans cannot eat hearts because a long time ago, their ancestors did something very bad and so they were cursed to never eat hearts or else be struck down with misfortune. Some believe the superstition but some caiv plawv out of respect for what happened in the past.

To answer the OP'S question, Vue people were considered "tsis huv" and so the older generation always said to avoid them. That was a long time ago though. Don't really hear that kinda thing nowadays. Young folks 25 years old and below probably tsis paub and tsis k.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 05:59:45 PM »
I heard the kid wasn't a neighbor's but the aunt's, and he was mute. Plus, he didn't stir it. He was just standing by the wok of meat and they accused him of eating the heart.

In one of the common stories I heard. It went like this. (I don't remember every detail).
They were doing a party and in one of the food they were preparing was heart.  There was a neighbor's kid who was mentally challenged, he came and was stirring the food/playing with it.
When they brought out the food with the heart, they couldn't find the heart in the food.  They blamed the neighbor kid and did some stuff to him.  Only later to find out that the heart was stuck at the bottom of the pot.
So the kid's mom cursed them because of it and said that they are never to eat heart otherwise they will have bad luck.

- another version said they killed the boy and replaced the missing heart with his.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 06:14:14 PM »
The Hmong back then didn't know what mentally challenged was. They would just equate that with being possessed or nuts.

"Ruam" meant mute because all such person could do was do hand signs.

They didn't understand his hand signs, that's why they couldn't interpret his signs that he hadn't eaten the heart.

OH was that it? Lol.  Trying to remember everything while recovering from a hangover is not a smart idea.

From what I recall them saying, he was "ruam."  Which i assume is the terrible term they use because they don't have one for mentally challenged.
I'll go find my Hmong literacy book.  It has the common story about it in there.

"...

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
The curse was actually placed by a VUE woman, herself. Why? Because a VUE girl packed a loaf of sh.it for her visiting brother.

::) ::) ::)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 10:48:26 PM »
The curse is that Vue girls will only bring financial ruins to their husbands if not other undesirable aspects of life. Keep in mind that this only applies to a subgroup of the Vue clan. However, because nobody can or will dare identify which subgroup, some people prefer to just steer clear of all Vue.

A summary of the curse as I vaguely remember goes that a Vue girl married a very successful man. When her brother came to visit, her husband made very rude remarks about his lack of wealth and financial stability. When it came time for the brother to return home, she packed fecal matter and pepper for his lunch. 

When news spread in his own village and among family members, they all devised a plan to settle the matter. After a year, the village helped the brother become prosperous. They invited the sister and her husband to a feast. At the feast, the "phauj laug" (who is always the designated person that can place a curse according to Hmong traditions) came to cuss out the sister and place a curse on all Vue women.

Thus, it is highly advised that all Vue girls never refuse assistance to their brothers in all financial matters, otherwise they will bring ruin to their own family.

If you are married to a Vue girl then you are forever indebted to her family, particularly her brothers. A lot of men are unwilling to pay this debt, especially if the brothers are thugs and losers. Basically, you might as well be wearing the skirt because her family will use this to own you. Unless you have good in-laws.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:50:46 PM by Believe_N_Me »

Advertisements