Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 226984 times)

proudlao

Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #495 on: May 17, 2013, 06:14:03 AM »
LHG, Thank you for sharing. Great pictures, made me feel like I was there. And good luck with May.

Did you made it to anywhere in Bokeo county?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Gawmp

« Reply #496 on: May 17, 2013, 08:07:42 AM »
lindavue - so I assume you got your passport and visa back in the nick of time before you left?

lindavue

« Reply #497 on: May 17, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »
lindavue - so I assume you got your passport and visa back in the nick of time before you left?

Yes I did. I receive it the day before I was about to leave. I'm not sure why but I receive a refund check for $50 since I'm a born US Citizen and then my DAD was denied entry to Laos and I only paid $10 i think for my Visa. Close call.

lindavue

« Reply #498 on: May 17, 2013, 09:10:35 AM »
LindaVue -

Very cool. I was just thinking about you the other day and your trip. When I was in Hanoi, I wondered where you might be or if you were close by.

Anyways... I agee with you about Laos. For those that have not gone, it is truly an experience and a magical place. I am so glad you had the chance to go and also that you had a great time there.

Please post pictures and tell us about your trip... from a women's point of view, I would love to hear what it was like!!!

LHG

LHG,

When you were in Laos, what did you use for internet service and how much did you pay for it? This is basically how i Started my Trip: Mpls, MN to Seattle WA, Nakita Japan, Bangkok Thailand, Vientiane, KM52, Saiyabori, Luang Prabang, Phonsavan, Nam Sua??, Lak Sao, Nakata, and then back to KM52/Vientiane, then off to Udonthani Thailand, Chiangmai Thailand then back to Bangkok to Incheon Korea, to Detriot Michigan, and back to MN (Home Sweet Home)!

BTW Love to Read your Blogs...and since you had a Great Story about May...Shall I write one too about this special person I met while I was there? :)

AOZ

« Reply #499 on: May 17, 2013, 09:54:13 AM »
LHG,

When you were in Laos, what did you use for internet service and how much did you pay for it? This is basically how i Started my Trip: Mpls, MN to Seattle WA, Nakita Japan, Bangkok Thailand, Vientiane, KM52, Saiyabori, Luang Prabang, Phonsavan, Nam Sua??, Lak Sao, Nakata, and then back to KM52/Vientiane, then off to Udonthani Thailand, Chiangmai Thailand then back to Bangkok to Incheon Korea, to Detriot Michigan, and back to MN (Home Sweet Home)!

BTW Love to Read your Blogs...and since you had a Great Story about May...Shall I write one too about this special person I met while I was there? :)

wow.  you are already back?  that was so fast?  did you meet someone special there? 

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 17, 2013, 10:39:08 AM »
LHG, Thank you for sharing. Great pictures, made me feel like I was there. And good luck with May.

Did you made it to anywhere in Bokeo county?

Hey Proudlao,

No I did not make ti to Bokeo, in fact I have got pass Vang Vieng. Here are the places that I visited, in order of visit.

SFO to Korea, Korea to Hanoi, Hanoi to Vientiane

Vientiane
KM52
None Hai
Back to KM52, delay there for almost a week because of a funeral.
Vang Vieng
None Hai again
Vientiane

Vientiane to Hanoi, Hanoi to Korea, Korea to SFO..

LHG

lindavue

« Reply #501 on: May 17, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »
wow.  you are already back?  that was so fast?  did you meet someone special there? 

Yes I'm back... I left on April 20th and Got back on May 12th. I certainly did meet lots of cousins and someone very special.... all i can say is AMAZING!! lol

proudlao

« Reply #502 on: May 17, 2013, 11:04:17 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun. I was too young when I was in Laos so I have only been to nearby cities. My uncles have been expecting in Vientiane but I never could find the right time. But one day I will.

Again, great pics and thanks.

Gawmp

« Reply #503 on: May 17, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »
Yes I did. I receive it the day before I was about to leave. I'm not sure why but I receive a refund check for $50 since I'm a born US Citizen and then my DAD was denied entry to Laos and I only paid $10 i think for my Visa. Close call.

so your dad didn't get to go with you?

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 17, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
LHG,

LindaVue,

Yes... by all means. Please tell us. I shared mine! :)

You don't have to use real names, but do share with us your point of view. What you did, who you met and what you did afterwards. More importantly, what are you thoughts about the person you met, from a women's point of view.

I can hardly wait!

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 17, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun. I was too young when I was in Laos so I have only been to nearby cities. My uncles have been expecting in Vientiane but I never could find the right time. But one day I will.

Again, great pics and thanks.

Hey Proudlao... you should really go. Just ask yourself, if not now, when? Time is what we make of it. There is an old saying... Time waits for no one.  In all my travels, this statement holds true with everyone and every culture I have come into contact with... but I am sure you already knew that.

Maybe someday, I will be reading your blog on PH!!! :)

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 17, 2013, 12:52:20 PM »
so your dad didn't get to go with you?

Lindavue - that was a interesting statement that you made and I meant to comment on it, but as always Gawmp stole my thunder!!! :)

Anyways, what happen to your dad, why was his visa denied? Who did you go with, if not him?

Thanks,

LHG

lindavue

« Reply #507 on: May 17, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »
Lindavue - that was a interesting statement that you made and I meant to comment on it, but as always Gawmp stole my thunder!!! :)

Anyways, what happen to your dad, why was his visa denied? Who did you go with, if not him?

Thanks,

LHG

Only my mom and me and we met up with my sister and her daughter in Bangkok was able to enter Laos. For some reason my dad has been trying for many years to get into Laos and have been denied every time...so he left to Vietnam instead....

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 17, 2013, 12:58:14 PM »
LHG,

Regarding What I USED for INTERNET Access....

In Laos, you can buy USB Dongles. The USB Dongles (for the none techie people) are wireless adapters attached to Laptops or PCs. The Dongles are sold by UNITEL or BEELINE, the wireless phone carriers of Laos. These devices cost about 400,000 kip or about 50 US Dollars and you pay for usage as you go. The cost is about 10,000 kip per day, but the speeds are extremely slow... only about 56 kb per second. Like the old dial up days in the USA.

For late night or really early morning usage, it is bearable. But during the day, you're better off sending smoke signals.

Your second option are the Internet Cafes in town, when you can get to them. They have decent speed and cost about 8000 kips per hour, or 1 US dollar.

Hope that helps!

LHG

proudlao

« Reply #509 on: May 17, 2013, 01:07:25 PM »
Hey Proudlao... you should really go. Just ask yourself, if not now, when? Time is what we make of it. There is an old saying... Time waits for no one.  In all my travels, this statement holds true with everyone and every culture I have come into contact with... but I am sure you already knew that.

Maybe someday, I will be reading your blog on PH!!! :)

LHG

Within the next five years for sure!

Advertisements