Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 227103 times)

cyber_loner

Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2012, 09:53:29 PM »
To me it just a place to sleep so I don't care for all the luxury that come with the hotel.  I remember one time in Vegas.  A couple who wanted us to go with them to Vegas since they never been there.  They booked us a room at the Circus Circus for $180 a night and then they wanted to stay another night so we all just got a room at Travelodge for $70 a night.  I didn't see any difference between these 2 hotel at all but both did come with 2 bed to accompany 4 people.  It was nothing special to me like I need a nice suite to relaxed, sleep, etc. because when you head outside it is what you are experiencing that is more fun while all it matter is coming back to a room and have a bed to rest for the night.

I guess it's a personal choice.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2012, 01:25:16 PM »

Yes... that is totally correct and well within your means to do what you want.

More can be made of this debate... and everyone, please feel free to jump in here.

For me personally, I would rather get a cheap hotel, and spend my money elsewhere... I.E. Good Food, Entertainment, Sight Seeing, and shopping. It has been my experience that most HMONG people are very frugal and rarely spend on luxury. You and your hubby are the exception and that is a good thing.

For the general population of Hmong out there... Please NOTE that hotels in Vientinane... 2-3 Stars are only 12 - 22 dollars a night. That's cheaper than most MOTELS in the US. WWW.AGODA.COM is the best site and have very good reviews. Good luck all!

Like this post: +1

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »
To me it just a place to sleep so I don't care for all the luxury that come with the hotel.  I remember one time in Vegas.  A couple who wanted us to go with them to Vegas since they never been there.  They booked us a room at the Circus Circus for $180 a night and then they wanted to stay another night so we all just got a room at Travelodge for $70 a night.  I didn't see any difference between these 2 hotel at all but both did come with 2 bed to accompany 4 people.  It was nothing special to me like I need a nice suite to relaxed, sleep, etc. because when you head outside it is what you are experiencing that is more fun while all it matter is coming back to a room and have a bed to rest for the night.

Summer / NO Regret....

I would agree with you on this subject... Again, if I was going to Maui/Las Vegas/DisneyLand, I would probaly fork out the extra cash and spend it on a nice hotel. However, this is Laos... and I doubt there are very much to do at the hotels within Laos. Cyber_Loner makes a good point, but unless I am going on my honeymoon or is on the vacation of a lifetime with my family, I will probably be looking at budget before luxury.

No regret

« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »
I don't know if you thought of this already but here's a great tool  to help you kno and see exactly where u want to go in Laos before you get there.

Download Google earth....it'll show you all the streets, places and locations in laos you want to go to.  I've tried it and it showed  all places, motels I've stayed at from a birds eye view.

Forgot about google earth, u can view every part of the world even your own house from above.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:37:03 PM by No regret »

cyber_loner

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2012, 11:13:29 PM »
Hi all,

Just heard through the grapevine that apparently during Nov - Dec, there will be some political conference happening in Laos which will be affecting entry in and out of Laos? 

I had a look on the government trip advisor web page and to date nothing re this have been issued.  I am just down playing it at the moment as "Hmong rumours" however if anyone else have heard - please confirm if correct and how it will affect travel, limitations etc during these two months.

Thanks all,

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »
Hi all,

Just heard through the grapevine that apparently during Nov - Dec, there will be some political conference happening in Laos which will be affecting entry in and out of Laos? 

I had a look on the government trip advisor web page and to date nothing re this have been issued.  I am just down playing it at the moment as "Hmong rumours" however if anyone else have heard - please confirm if correct and how it will affect travel, limitations etc during these two months.

Thanks all,

http://www.asem9.la/show.php?id=9

My cousin who is a police officer in Vientiane tells me that there will be a Summit/Conference in Laos. The Asia Europe Meeting (ASEM 9 Summit) will take place in Laos on Nov. 5-6, 2012. In preparation for this meeting, security in and around Laos will be tighten, but tourism and tourist into Laos will NOT  be affected.

If you think about, it does not make sense for Laos to limit or restrict tourist into Laos. Tourism is one of Lao's major source of income. This includes tourism money from the highly popular Hmong New Years in Laos.

Just rumors by uninformed people.... (Don't let them use their Jedi mind tricks on you!)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:33:20 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
I don't know if you thought of this already but here's a great tool  to help you kno and see exactly where u want to go in Laos before you get there.

Download Google earth....it'll show you all the streets, places and locations in laos you want to go to.  I've tried it and it showed  all places, motels I've stayed at from a birds eye view.

Forgot about google earth, u can view every part of the world even your own house from above.

I have a GPS and I will pay extra for Maps of South East Asain... hopefully that should work for me. I also have my hacked IPhone and I will purchase a SIM card there to use. Hopefully between my GPS and IPHONE, I should not get lost.

***Travel Tip*** For those that have a Blackberry, Iphone or similiar smartphone, which can be hacked, you can use the SIM cards in Laos. My buddy gave me this tip and I will give it a try. I will let everyone know.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:12:55 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »
*** 30 days and counting til my trip back to the mother land***

I am a little nervous still, and it has not hit me yet that I am really going back to Laos. Ever since I was a little kid growing up in the midwest, I have always dream of going to Laos... mostly because my parents were always homesick and talked about Laos so often. But more importantly, I want to see Laos for myself. I guess it is only human nature to want to know about our past, I guess it is only natural to want to feel like we belong. I am an Amerian citizen, but I have never really feel like I fit in. I love my life here and I love the USA... but a part of my longs to be in Laos. I am not sure why...

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:38:32 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

cyber_loner

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2012, 05:48:49 AM »
http://www.asem9.la/show.php?id=9

My cousin who is a police officer in Vientiane tells me that there will be a Summit/Conference in Laos. The Asia Europe Meeting (ASEM 9 Summit) will take place in Laos on Nov. 5-6, 2012. In preparation for this meeting, security in and around Laos will be tighten, but tourism and tourist into Laos will NOT  be affected.

If you think about, it does not make sense for Laos to limit or restrict tourist into Laos. Tourism is one of Lao's major source of income. This includes tourism money from the highly popular Hmong New Years in Laos.

Just rumors by uninformed people.... (Don't let them use their Jedi mind tricks on you!)

Thanks heaps for the info!! O0

And yes you are absolutely correct in making no sense why such restriction would be imposed....

Must be exciting for you as your days near the departure date back to Laos...!!!  Can't wait for ours...57 more days for us!!!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:53:24 AM by cyber_loner »

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »

True its a personal choice.  If I was celebrating something much nicer maybe go a little luxury but most of the time it just a place for us to crash for the night while in those town/place.  If it a real vacation where it just the 2 of us then I would probably want a high taste or the best of whatever I can afford as long as it paid and not charging on cc............ ....

We can't leave our kids behind because we don't have anyone to look after them since we are on our own here so if we have to go somewhere then most likely our kids have to go to so that why the other couple took their kids too.  We didn't gamble but they did and lost $400.  Ever since they got to see Vegas they have been going back there a couple time up to date.......... I don't gamble but if it was to go see show and do other stuffs then I don't mind going but then Vegas is not all that when it is daytime and just nighttime..... .......  I use to go there a few time before I wasn't even married because LA isn't too far from it.........

baddabing

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2012, 03:17:49 AM »
no matter what's going on in Laos they'll never stop tourism, cus they'll lose all that money!  More and more people are going there every year now.

Try and Try Again

« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2012, 03:23:24 AM »
not interested, this is an mtt thing

:2funny:

No regret

« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2012, 04:14:25 AM »

Actually there's all kinds of choices to do over there, mtt or not mtt. ;D

If u want modern things and accomodations, just stay and hang around vientiane.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:12:22 PM by No regret »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2012, 12:01:04 PM »

Not sure what MTT has to do with it... but to me there is so much more there than just Hmong People. Aside from the fact that my parents were born there and I was born there. Laos has a rich history, be it war, communist rule, or under monarchy rule, Laos has come a long ways. Any country that has had so much adversity and still shines in spike of it, deserves a visit no matter who you are. I hear the people are also friendly and warm.

Bottom line, don't let the stereotypes scared you or give you any preconeived notions. If anything else, go and enjoy the slow pace of like,  be on a vacation.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:06:36 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »
no matter what's going on in Laos they'll never stop tourism, cus they'll lose all that money!  More and more people are going there every year now.

I agree... Tourism is a great source of income to Laos and the local population... Especially in this economy. Laos has and is trying to come into the global community again as evident with their recent ties to US. I for one am glad and thankful. Less fighting in the world is always a good thing.

Advertisements